So we’re at the beginning of another new year with resolutions to get healthy and take better care of ourselves, but what is the ideal first step to get on track and feel better fast?
DETOX is a word often toted around in this post festive season period. Chances are you, like all of us, have overindulged in the celebrations and are feeling the punch now.
Signs you’ve gone too far:
- loss of energy
- bloating & intestinal discomfort
- sugar cravings
- bad mood
- dull skin
- sluggish metabolism
You may know that your road to recovery starts at liver repair but what exactly does that mean? More importantly, do you even know what your liver does?
The liver is the largest and heaviest gland in your body weighing in at 1.4 kg. It plays a crucial role in detoxifying substances that are harmful to the body such as alcohol, drugs and chemicals.
It also plays an important role in :
- maintaining a normal blood glucose level
- synthesizing cholesterol and using this cholesterol to make bile salts
- breaking down fatty acids
- storing fat soluble vitamins such as Vitamin A, D, E, K and water soluble B12 as well the minerals iron and copper
- helping with the elimination of old red blood cells, white blood cells and some bacteria
- synthesizing the active form of vitamin D along with the skin and kidneys
After a festive season your body (and liver) needs a break. Be kind to it and you will be rewarded with more energy, a clearer mind, better skin and a more positive mood. Drinking plenty of water, eating fresh leafy greens and getting some rest is a good place to begin. Perhaps look at starting my 14 day Green Smoothie Challenge, it’s a way to give your immune system the support it needs while supplying many of the vitamins and minerals required in the liver’s detoxification pathways.
I have been asked about over the counter products for detox and to be honest, I don’t think any are particularly worthwhile unless you are getting the nutrition side right. There is no easy way out of taking care of your body. Like the difference between seeing your favorite destination on TV and going to see it for real, you wont get the full effect without putting in the effort. Set yourself up now for a healthy year ahead!